Individual, Family, or High School Crew – Farming
Scheduling begins in early February for the farm volunteer sessions running early April through late October.
Individual or Family Volunteer Hours (April – late October)
|SATURDAY||9am–11am, 1:15 –3:15pm|
Guidelines and Scheduling
- For individuals or families (children up to age 15 must be accompanied by an adult at all times), our morning sessions are 2 hours starting at 10 am, Wednesday through Saturday.
- We also offer a 2 hour session in the afternoon (1:15 pm–3:15 pm) on Fridays and Saturdays.
- We generally expect a family to include up to 5 people with 1–2 adults and 1–3 children.
- As an individual or family, you may sign up for a volunteer session five days in advance (but more notice is appreciated!).
- If you have previously volunteered this season, you may sign up for multiple sessions in increments of 1, 3 or 5 sessions. We offer up to 10 visits per season.
- After signing up, you will immediately receive a confirmation email. In the case that we cannot accommodate your scheduled session, you will receive a request to reschedule.
- The farm staff typically responds with any changes within 2-3 business days of your scheduling.
Please Notify Us If You Have to Cancel
- If you must cancel, please use the link in your confirmation email to notify us as soon as possible.
- When volunteers don’t arrive on-time as scheduled, it’s difficult for our farm staff to plan the day’s work.
High School Age (generally 15-17 years, occasionally 14 years old)
- If you are an individual in high school (generally age 15-17, occasionally 14 years old), please sign up online and bring the release form signed by a parent or guardian.
- If you are an individual younger than high school, you must be accompanied by an adult during your volunteer visit.
- If you’d like to volunteer along with other high school students during the summer, please sign up as part of our High School Farm Team below.
High School Crew (Summer)
High School Crew Individual Volunteer Hours (June – August)
- Gaining Ground seeks high school students motivated to work outdoors during the summer time, hot or cold, wet or dry.
- Volunteers will receive direction from our farmers and then work independently with other peers.
- There is a Facebook Group page called Varsity Farm Team where team leaders post updates.
- Community Service hours can be approved upon request.
- This is a great way to meet other high school students and learn about the many tasks involved in raising healthy, fresh produce.
- You must request to volunteer at least 2 days in advance using our online scheduling system.
- You will automatically receive a confirmation email upon sign-up.