Individual or Family – Farming
Scheduling begins in early February for the farm volunteer sessions running mid April through late October.
Individual or Family Volunteer Hours (April – late October)
Guidelines and Scheduling
- For individuals or families (children up to age 15 must be accompanied by an adult at all times), our morning sessions are 2 hours starting at 10 am, Wednesday through Saturday.
- We also offer a 2 hour session in the afternoon (1:15 pm–3:15 pm) on Fridays.
- We generally expect a family to include up to 5 people with 1–2 adults and 1–3 children.
- As an individual or family, you may sign up for a volunteer session five days in advance (more notice is appreciated!).
- If you have previously volunteered this season, you may sign up for multiple sessions in increments of 3. We offer up to 10 visits per season per individual in order to accommodate all volunteers.
- After signing up, you will immediately receive a confirmation email. In rare cases when we cannot accommodate your scheduled session, you will receive a request to reschedule.
- The farm staff typically responds regarding any changes within 2-3 business days of your scheduling.
Please Notify Us If You Have to Cancel
- If you must cancel, please use the link in your confirmation email to notify us as soon as possible. Contact us if you cannot locate your original confirmation email.
- When volunteers don’t arrive on time as scheduled, it’s difficult for our farm staff to plan and execute the day’s work. Kindly arrive promptly for your volunteer session.
High School Age (generally 15-17 years, occasionally 14 years old)
- If you are an individual in high school (generally age 15-17, occasionally 14 years old), please sign up online and bring the release form signed by a parent or guardian.
- If you are an individual younger than high school, you must be accompanied by an adult during your volunteer visit.
- If you’d like to volunteer along with other high school students on a regular basis during the summer, please see the High School Farm Team section below.
High School Farm Team (June – August)
High School Farm Team Volunteer Hours (June – August)
- Gaining Ground seeks high school students motivated to work hard outdoors during the summer time in all types of weather.
- Volunteers will receive direction from our farmers and then work independently with other peers.
- A minimum commitment of 5 sessions (Wednesday and/or Saturday mornings) is required to participate.
- Community service hours can be approved upon request.
- This is a great way to meet other high school students and learn about the many tasks involved in raising nutritious, sustainably grown produce. Please click here to learn more. Contact Avery Indermaur with any questions.