Throughout the harvest season, produce from Gaining Ground’s farm goes to food pantries, meal programs, schools, and shelters in Greater Boston and Eastern Massachusetts. Our approach is local and sustainable—most of our produce is distributed within 20 miles of our farm and within 24 hours of harvest.
Some groups use our produce to prepare a free meal distributed to people who need it. Others give it away as part of providing free groceries to individuals and families experiencing food insecurity. Organizations we partner with include:
- Bedford Food Bank—provides free groceries to any local resident who can establish need.
- Bridge Boston Charter School—utilizes our produce in nutritious meals served daily to 339 economically and socially disadvantaged students.
- Community Teamwork—coordinates our free CSA-style produce distribution to 120 Head Start families at four sites in Lowell.
- Daniel’s Table – distributes our produce as part of free meals in their Community Freezer Program and COVID-19 community response food pantries, serving 650 households per week in Framingham.
- East Boston Community Soup Kitchen – distributes our produce weekly on Tuesdays in East Boston to 200 households.
- Eastie Farm – distributes our produce each week on Thursdays in East Boston to 75-100 households.
- Food for Families—offers a free weekly farmer’s market during the summer, coordinated through Concord and Carlisle’s Councils on Aging and Community Services.
- Healthy Waltham – distributes produce along with other groceries to some of the 650 visitors at bimonthly free food distributions in Waltham.
- House of Hope—offers a safe home and meals for about 75 single mothers and their children in four sites in Lowell.
- Loaves and Fishes—exists as a mission of love and faith to provide food and temporary support services to residents of Ayer, Devens, Groton, Harvard, Littleton, and Shirley.
- Lowell Transitional Living Center—provides meals, emergency shelter, services, and supportive housing to 180 people daily who are hungry, homeless, or who need support in the Lowell area.
- Open Table—offers weekly community supper programs and food pantries in Concord and Maynard to more than 300 guests.
- Salvation Army of Chelsea/East Boston – utilizes our produce in grocery bags for thousands of low-income residents, as part of their COVID-19 community response efforts.
- Sudbury Food Pantry—distributes our freely selected produce to about 40 families per week from Sudbury and over 50 other towns.
- Westford Council on Aging—partners with a senior housing site in Westford to offer a free market supporting 65 residents.
- Women’s Lunch Place – incorporates produce into meals served or delivered to over 1,800 women per year who are experiencing homelessness and food insecurity.
There is currently a waiting list for organizations wishing to supply their guests with Gaining Ground’s fresh, organic produce. If you are interested in learning more about becoming a partner, please contact Program Manager, Allison Goodwin.