We’re Hiring! 2023 Field Crew Member
Update: This position has been filled.
Gaining Ground is a 3 acre non-profit, no-till, organic farm in Concord, MA that grows produce for 15 hunger relief organizations with the help of community volunteers. We donate 100% of the food we grow. In the 2022 growing season we grew over 110,000 pounds of produce, supplying more than 1,200 food-insecure households each week in the Greater Boston region. We welcomed over 3,000 volunteers of all ages and abilities to the farm this past season.
Gaining Ground uses farming practices centered around ecosystem health. We strive to farm alongside nature and to encourage biological diversity below and above the soil. The farm has been recognized for bio-intensive farming practices and has been part of no-till studies led by NOFA, MDAR and USDA/NRCS, testing the soil health and nutrients of our produce.
Our grassroots organization thrives on hard-working, committed, friendly individuals who support our mission with enthusiasm and a sense of humor and who are eager to work alongside volunteers in support of our hunger-relief mission. We are now hiring a field crew member for the 2023 season! The position runs from April to October (precise start/end dates TBA).
Gaining Ground is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment of belonging for all employees. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, or marital status.
Start: April 4th (flexible)
End: October 31st (flexible)
Schedule: Average 40 hours per week, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, with one Sunday per month for greenhouse watering duties
- Work directly with farm managers and other farm crew members to implement all aspects of the farm including; greenhouse and high tunnel work, field preparation, planting, irrigation, cultivation, harvest, wash/pack, and pest management
- Lead and work alongside volunteers of all ages and abilities on a regular basis
- Watering/Farm chores one Sunday per month
- Positive and compassionate attitude
- Desire to learn and be curious
- Excellent work ethic and reliability
- Excited to work outside in all types of weather conditions!
- Interest in and/or experience with no-till farming practices
- Ability to work with members of a six person farm team and at times independently
- Ability to lead and work with volunteers of all ages and abilities on a regular basis
- Comfortable interacting with an engaged board of directors and our 15 partner organizations
- Ability to lift 30-40 pounds and perform repetitive physical tasks
- Satisfactory background and reference checks
- A valid driver’s license
- Cell phone communication
- Reliable transportation
- $17/hour with paid lunch hour
- 6 days paid vacation
- 2 days paid sick/personal days
- $500 health stipend
- Professional development opportunities
- Fresh farm veggies
Please note that we are unable to provide housing as part of this position. Having your own means of transportation (car or bike) is strongly encouraged, as we are unfortunately not located close to public transport. Possible carpool available from Somerville. To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!