We’re Hiring! Executive Director
Gaining Ground is a thriving nonprofit hunger relief organization that grows organic produce on our farm in Concord, MA. Our food is distributed to area food pantries, shelters and local families – all for free. We are seeking a dynamic, articulate, creative executive director (ED) to manage the organization and lead it into the next stage of our development.
The ED functions as the chief executive officer of Gaining Ground. He/she is responsible for implementing policies and deliverables set by the board of directors (BOD), leading the organization to achieve annual goals and objectives, and overseeing the human resources, program implementation, fundraising, and administrative functions of the organization.
An ideal candidate should be highly organized and self-motivated with an ability to work independently and with the BOD. Our grassroots organization thrives on committed, friendly individuals who support our mission with enthusiasm and a sense of humor.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
Reporting to the board of directors, the executive director is responsible for the operation, growth and development of Gaining Ground, and for professional leadership of the organization in a manner that supports the mission as defined by the board of directors.
ROLE SPECIFICS: 30 Hours per week
- DEVELOPMENT (50%)
- Drives all aspects of fundraising, including the bi-annual fundraising campaign, events, and grant writing
- Donor segmentation and stewardship.
- Large donor recruitment and stewardship.
- Develop and utilize a donor database to advance development efforts.
- STAFF (10%)
- Leads the team in the implementation of Gaining Ground’s vision. Manages, trains, leads, and coaches Gaining Ground’s employees.
- Hire and train all office staff and lead farmer, and help hire farm assistants.
- Directly supervise all staff, including the farm manager, program manager, and bookkeeper.
- Oversee staff and staff operations to implement programs and activities within framework of board policies, strategic plan, and approved budget.
- Help resolve any conflicts, build consensus, and encourage teamwork.
- Assess need for professional development for employees.
- Oversee the administration of payroll and employee benefit programs.
- Provide annual review of all full-time employees.
- Identify any hiring needs and bring to the BOD
- PROGRAM (5%)
- Direct overall operations, including evaluating program effectiveness and success and allocating resources for maximum effectiveness.
- PUBLIC RELATIONS/COMMUNITY OUTREACH (10%)
- Communicate the vision and work of Gaining Ground by building relationships with the community, town entities, other hunger relief programs, and volunteers.
- Represent and serve as spokesperson for Gaining Ground to the general public, special constituencies, and potential donors.
- GOAL-SETTING & VISION – as needed
- Adhere to the Strategic Plan as determined by the BOD.
- Assist with the development of annual committee goal-setting.
- Assist with long-range vision/planning during a strategic planning effort.
- FINANCE (10%)
- Help the treasurer develop and implement the annual budget and monthly financial reports.
- BOARD SUPPORT ( 15%)
- Work with the board president and the BOD to coordinate the work of board committees.
- Attend all board meetings and report out on status and progress of programs and operations.
- Provide information and counsel to board committees in the development of policies, programs, and strategic direction of the organization.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Excellent outreach, communication, writing and public speaking skills.
- Experience in fundraising with proven success, specifically in gift solicitation.
- Familiarity with the workings of non-profit institutions.
- Passionate, organized, collaborative, thoughtful, and enthusiastic about our hunger relief mission.
- Proficiency in a development database and Microsoft Office.
To apply for the role, please send a resume, cover letter and your contact information to: email@example.com.